Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ethiopian facts

I have not posted anything in over a month because I don't know anything new.  I sent an email to the agency today in order to see if they can give me an update.  While I am waiting for them to respond I thought I would post a few facts about Ethiopia.

Facts about Ethiopia
Total population: 77 million

The average income in Ethiopia is US$100 a year. Almost 82% of the population lives on less than $1 a day.

Malnutrition levels are among the highest in the world.

Ethiopia is home to 5 million orphans

More than half a million of these were orphaned as a result of AIDS.

Literacy rate: 42.7% age 15 and over can read and write.

Only 18 percent of children reach grade five.

Ethiopia's neonatal mortality rate is one of the highest in the world - 49/1000 births with tetanus infection being the second major cause of infant/neonatal death.
1 Birr = 100 cents
Main exports: Coffee, hides, oilseeds, beeswax, sugarcane
Major languages: Amharic, Oromigna, Tigrinya & Somali

Major religions: Christianity & Islam

Life expectancy: 46 years (men), 49 years (women) (UN)
I will post more later when I get an update.


jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment